Day 21, July 4, 2012


Day 21: On waking, I’m surprised to see it’s already 1:15 (or thereabouts). I take down Reba’s pen, and put her harness on, which I call her “business suite” (consisting of 4 major parts, with some smaller sub-parts including her bit and reins). Then we are off, traveling south on Skocomo Road toward Eskridge. After approx 3 miles (?) travel up and down big hills, we come to a 4 way stop (all gravel roads), and taking Doug’s advice, I continue straight on a one lane road called “Divide Road.” Divide Road is much closer to what wagon travel must have been like in the old days, rugged rocky outcrops in the road, ravines with crude culverts so narrow, one can watch the wheels rolling inches from disaster, deep ruts, stones the size of footballs, and scenery that is breathtaking. It’s rough, and seems to go on forever, but what a great experience! See videos!



To view series of videos shot on Divide Road, click on links below:

Road to Eskridge #1:


Road to Eskridge #2:


Road to Eskridge #3:


Road to Eskridge #4:


Road to Eskridge #5:


Road to Eskridge #6:


Road to Eskridge #7:
http://youtu.be/rbH0zRXhgUg


Road to Eskridge #8:
http://youtu.be/3z8Cl_swTmU


Road to Eskridge #9:
http://youtu.be/tqDgHq4ViUU


Dial-up users, see the pictorial below:



Traveling at daybreak. Awesome scenery!
Road seems to go on forever.

Lots of rugged spots.

Many rock outcrops.

Starting up a long hill.

Resting near the top.

Driving to the top.
Go Reba!

Standing on top!

Cautiously going down steep curve with rocky outcrop.

Plenty of ruts.

Driving for the top of last big hill.

Standing at the top with Eskridge in the distance.


Just outside Eskridge, I stop and get 5 gallon water from a pond, then feed Reba grain and water. I feed Jill, then break out my kitchen gear for breakfast. It’s been a long hard slog from Maple Hill to Eskridge, and Reba is down to her last, darn near walking in her sleep. Jill is worn out also, and so am I. Fortunately, we no more than set foot in Eskridge than I meet a man named Eldon on a 4-wheeler. Eldon lives about a block away, but he owns the land right there where I’ve entered town, and without batting an eye, sets me up in an excellent situation with plenty of shade, grass for Reba, a water hydrant, and bathroom in a small workshop. I set up my camp, including Reba’s pen, and Eldon, who doesn’t look anywhere near 71, goes off to work. Later, that evening, Eldon’s wife Kathy, and daughter Melisa have me over for dinner.


Stop to rest, feed, and water Reba and Jill,
and make my breakfast.

Jill is living a dog's dream!

Breakfast camp.

They call her, "Road-kill-Jill."

Camped at Eldon's.

No comments:

Post a Comment