Day 35, July 18, 2012

Day 35: Up at 4am. . .

. . . and this crawled out from under my tent!
(It's one scorpion that won't be stinging anyone!)


Feeling concerned about Reba's area, which is fairly tore up due to her large hoofs, I do my best to smooth out the ground with my shovel, then spread hay evenly over the ground. Finishing my chores, we roll out at 6:30am, and looking back, I take picture below.


Departing river front park area where we camped.


I drive downtown to have dinner at cafe, and park my rig on the main drag.


I like this pic. To see more, click on link below.


Click this link to see a good early morning look at small town America:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lff5LqceDXA&feature=youtube_gdata


Because I didn't get a chance to go around town visiting with folks the day before, I plan on doing so this morning before I depart. And drivning into town, I can't believe the leaves that have fallen due to the heatwave and drought. In places, the leaves carpet the ground as if it were automn. I go to the cafe for breakfast and meet a fair number of folks. I'm not going from person to person pushing my message like I use to, but letting the river flow, passing out cards, answering questions, and talking about what I'm aboout. It goes well, with good conversations, and I feel my visit is a success. From the cafe I go to the feed store to get fly spray for Reba, and it goes like at the cafe but on a smaller scale, so things are ticken like they should.


Because we don't get underway until 9:00am, I figure on having only a few hours of travel in the terrible heat, and that is okay, we don't have to get to Williamsburg today. Eleven o’clock rolls around, and we’re still rolling, then noon, then one, two, three, four… we travel through the heat of day! And I think we may have hit a point where we’ve gotten used to the heat. Of course we take our time, go slow, stop in every shade spot, and every watering hole, often asking for water at farms, and meeting friendly folks in the process, plus I walk up every hill with Reba so she won't half to pull my weight. And with regard to making progress, not by miles, but by people, it's shaping up to be a great day! Stopping for water is a great way to talk about what I'm about. I cannot remember every name, but we met Cal and his wife, and Gary and his daughter-in-law Angie. Gary told me a story about buying a tractor from my uncle Ed! Throughout the day, Reba never overheated, but Jill and I each had our turn. Jill was first, and I had to pour water over her, and keep her in the shade (I made use of our down time by grazing Reba). Then it was my turn to overheat. My head started hurting, then my stomach, and I layed down under a tree. That was where I met Angie. She saw me and came to ask if I needed water.



This stone wall went on and on, sometimes broken,
other times complete.

Nice looking stone barn

Scorching hot road.

Resting in shade.
Reba is reminded that although she's doing the
hard thing, she is free. She's not a poor ass trapped
behind a fence in a bunch of weeds.

This was beside our camp, a
fence post enveloped by a tree.




To see videos of this day's travel, click on links below:

Road to Williamsburg - 1


Road to Williamsburg - 2


Road to Williamsburg - 3



Approx 3 miles west of Williamsburg, I pull off road, into a patch of shade, to get water from a stream. No sooner had I got there when Angie comes by in her truck and, seeing me there, tells me it is okay to camp on that land (Angie is good friends with the land owner). I'm glad because I was hoping to camp there, and now I do not have to track down the owner but can get on with the business of making camp.


Driving along edge of cut cornfield to reach campsite
(stream is through trees to left).

Camped where the breeze is strong, with
grass for Reba, and water from streem.


To see fun and interesting videos of setting up camp, click on links below:


Road to Williamsburg - 4
After chores, I make a late decision to eat again, so I break my stove out and make maccaroni and cheeze in the dark. Yummy! I then go in my tent and work on web-journal until 12:15am.



No comments:

Post a Comment